3 Ways to Find an Adoption Opportunity with Family Connections

One of the most exciting parts of the adoption process is finding the child who is meant to be a part of your family. Whether you are looking for an adoption opportunity through the California foster system, internationally or with an expectant mother, you have many options when searching for a child to adopt.

Here, learn more about finding an adoptive placement in California and the services FCCA offers to help.

1. Adopt a Waiting Child in California

Our California Waiting Child Program (“fos-adopt”) matches hopeful parents to children in the state and county foster system who need permanent homes.

FCCA’s fos-adopt program focuses on low-legal-risk placements, meaning the county has determined that these children cannot safely return to their birth families. Some of the children placed through this program are less than 2 years old; however, most children who fall into the low-legal-risk category are 6 years old and older, or are younger but have older siblings who must be placed with them. Many single older children are waiting for permanent homes.

If you are interested in adopting a child from the California foster care system, you will complete the following steps to find an adoption opportunity:

Most families in our fos-adopt program receive placement of a child within four to eight months of completing the home study.

2. Adopt Internationally

Adoptive families who are interested in international adoption have two options when searching for an adoption opportunity: they may adopt through FCCA’s Hong Kong placement program, or they may adopt through another country by obtaining a home study from FCCA to use with another agency’s placement program.

Hong Kong Adoption

FCCA offers a direct child-placement program in Hong Kong through our partnership with Mother’s Choice, an orphanage in Hong Kong that facilitates the adoption of children between 2 and 8 years old, many of whom have special needs.

If you are interested in adopting through our Hong Kong program, you can review background information about the waiting children at Mother’s Choice, so you can decide whether to move forward with one of their adoption opportunities. Please read the following to learn more about our Hong Kong adoption program.  

Other International Adoption Options

Families interested in adopting a child from any country besides Hong Kong should work with another child-placing agency for the child search phase of the adoption process. Different agencies have different requirements for adoptive families, as well as different processes for finding adoption opportunities. If you need help finding an international adoption program, FCCA can refer you to several reputable international child-placing agencies for placement services.

Regardless of the child-placing agency you work with, FCCA can provide the international adoption home study, post-placement and finalization services you need to successfully complete the adoption process. 

3. Find a Birth Mother Placing a Child for Adoption

Some families who join FCCA’s fos-adopt or international adoption programs are also open to private infant adoption with a birth mother who is making an adoption plan for her baby.

While FCCA does not currently have a dedicated private adoption placement program, we can provide many of the services adoptive families need to successfully adopt a baby in California. In addition, we do work with expectant mothers who contact us looking for adoptive families.

If you would like to be considered for FCCA’s domestic infant adoption opportunities, you can:

If you are exclusively interested in private infant adoption, you may choose to find a birth mother on your own or through an attorney, or work with another agency for placement services. Either way, FCCA can provide the home study, post-placement and finalization services you need to complete your private infant adoption once you have been matched with a birth mother.

To learn more about your adoption options and FCCA’s child-placing programs, contact the FCCA office near you.